Welcome to one of life’s simple pleasures.

A Tradition of Distinction. The Glens Falls Country Club has long been a part of the fabric of this wonderful community.  Established in 1912, with a signature Donald Ross golf course, the Glens Falls Country Club sits on a pristine piece of true Adirondack splendor, complete with a private lake and certification as an Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary.

The Glens Falls Country Club has stood the test of time, adapting over the years to grow and meet the changing needs of our members and our community.  Enjoy superb golf, fine dining, camaraderie in a great atmosphere, and much more.  We encourage your participation in our many Social and Sports programs.  Away from the bustle of your regular schedule, but just a short drive from your home or workplace, embrace the privileges of membership.

A little history that surrounds our home away from home …

"Did You Know" at Glens Falls Country Club by John W. Beebe as published in the Forecaster 2009 - 2011

In the early 1950's one could catch a train in California and continue by train to Lake George passing through the Glens Falls Country Club along the 16th fairway, across the 17th hole where the service road is, across the driving range tee area, across the back parking lot, down the beach road and through the current beach to the west side of Glen Lake and on to Lake George.  The beach was located off the first tee.  The driving range was part of the 17th hole.

A trolley line from Fort Edward to Warrensburg was established before the railroad replaced it.  The Club location was partially selected because of its convenience to the trolley.  The line ran along the 16th fairway but turned west, where the approach to the present 16th green is located.  It then ran along the south side of Round Pond Road, in the woods between the road and the 10th tee and where the cart path to the 9th hole is now located.  This is where the trolley stop was constructed to service the Club.  The line then continued down along the north side of the 8th fairway to the present crossing between the 18th and 2nd holes.  During the winter, it is easy to see the trolley track bed from Round Pond Road if one looks to his left when approaching the Club entrance from the east.

The row of pines that used to border the entire west side of the old 16th fairway (of which some remain at the dog leg on the right approaching the new 16th green), and the rows bordering the 5th and 10th fairways were planted by the railroad to serve as "snow fences".

The gully area on the 16th fairway used to be a waste area full of eroded soil and weeds.  Charles Waggaman was a prominent member who owned a construction company and disliked playing from the mess.  He saw one of his trucks traveling down Country Club Road with excavating equipment on the back.  He instructed the driver to stop and to immediately grade the gully.  He provided topsoil and seed and completed the job.  No Board action was required.

A recent close examination of the growth rings of mature trees removed over the past five years indicates that most of those trees date back to about 1912-1920.  Therefore, there was a lot more sunlight in those areas when the course was new, i.e. behind 9th, 1th, and 17th greens.  On January 18, 1951, during the Korean Conflict, the Board passed a resolution to allow members who entered U.S. Armed Forces to retain their membership status, free of charge, until their return to civilian life.

In March, 1951, members are to have golf bag tags to identify them as members.  Guests are to have colored tags for the day they play to insure they have paid.

In March 1951, the icehouse that stored the summer supply of ice for the golf season and beyond, before refrigeration, was to be torn down and the lumber was to be piled at the rear of the parking lot for further use by the Club.  We can now assume some of the current buildings contain remains from the icehouse.

Along the left rough of the 15th hole, about 300 yards from the tee, stood a 200+ year old oak tree.  Due to rot, the tree had to be removed during the 1970's.  The branches spread out about 50 yards into the fairway, thereby creating a dog leg.  The trunk measured over 8 feet in diameter.  It was considered the oldest tree in Warren County.

In May 1951, the question of rebuilding the fence along fairway #4 was brought up, and it was reported that the farmer whose property adjoined the Club's (now Wincrest Drive) refused to accept half of the cost.  In view of this, it was decided to inform the farmer that he would be held liable if any destruction was incurred to the Club's fairways and greens by his animals.  This decision may currently apply to property owners along the 4th fairway.

Also in May 1951, the Board approved posting signs warning trespassers and golfers who have not paid greens fees to keep off and offering a $50 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of such persons.

The original 7th tees were directly behind and to the right of the lower 6th green.  The stones that lined the path to those tees can still be seen on the hill to the right of the green.  The tee boxes are over grown with brush and grass but are also there.  The tees were relocated as members developed long wild slices offthe 8th tee.  The original tennis courts were located in the area of the present 18th green.  When the second nine holes were added in 1921, the courts were moved to an area on the right side just past the Leavens Gate.  The area later served as a practice sand trap until the driving range was renovated with a practice sand trap around 2001.

Designs for the second nine holes of the golf course were started in 1912 by Donald Ross as the original nine holes were being constructed.  However, it wasn't until the beginning of the 1922 season that all 18 holes were open.  Some of the original nine holes were incorporated into the back nine.

The original nine holes now have been determined through extensive research.  #1 was 1; #8 was #2; #9 was #3; #10 was #4; #6 was #5; #12 was #6; #15 was #7; #16 was #8; #17 was #9.

Centennial Moments by John W. Beebe as published in the Forecaster 2011

The First Decade (1912-1922)

In 1912 Donald Ross visited Glens Falls and strongly advised the Round Pond site for a location of the Glens Falls Country Club.  Other sites were under consideration but offered land for a dull golf course.  He insisted the. Round Pond site would be best for an exciting course. Furthermore, the founders all agreed the club should be located on a trolley line.

The Club's 9-hole course opened June 2, 1914.  0n June 3, 1921, Donald Ross returned to complete a design for the 2nd nine holes, and the Club opened the ninth season in the spring of 1922 as an 18-hole course.

The next time you are enjoying "Fireside Dining", please observe the fireplace andirons.  On the front of each is a large horseshoe.  These were used on the workhorses that pulled the early fairway mowers.  Leather boots were fitted over the shoes to prevent turf damage.

Between 1913-1914, the Board decided that he Club flag may be in the form of a cross of white on a green background.  The Secretary was authorized to purchase one dozen records for the use of the Victrola in the Clubhouse.  New rules: no bicycles or dogs allowed in the Clubhouse, and no gambling or playing cards for stakes are allowed in the Clubhouse.  The Board approved screens for doors and windows for the Clubhouse with an expenditure not to exceed $75.00.

The first golf tournament held at the Glens Falls Country in May 1914 was a handicap event.  John H. Derby had a gross score of 123 and his 48 handicap gave him a winning net total of 75.  The highest handicap in 1914 was 72 and belonged to John J. McCabe.  The course consisted of 9 holes and handicaps were based on 2 rounds on the same course on the same day.

The Second Decade (1922-1932)

The stone entrance to the Club was built in 1926 in honor of Walter Price "Puffer" Leavens who died in 1922.  He was missing an eardrum and worked out a way to blow smoke from his cigar out his open ear, thus earned his nickname "Puffer".

On the morning of April 14, 1923, the golf course was scheduled to open for the season.  The Club Steward started a fire in the coal- burning furnace at 6:30 in the morning in anticipation of a large number of golfers soon to arrive.  A crack in the chimney caused the fire to start near the roof, and as a result the clubhouse was totally destroyed.  Temporary repairs were made to provide some dining for members and assist the Club through the 1923 season.  By August 1924, a new Clubhouse was almost complete.  To see a part of the original Clubhouse you can inspect the benches in the men's locker house.  They are made from the original floorboards and contain the spike marks of our founding fathers.

The Third Decade (1932-1942)

On June 29, 1938, Donald Ross visited the Club.  He explained that the 4th, 10th, and 15th greens had not settled.  They were designed for hit and run approaches - not pitch shots.  He agreed the 16th could be made into a par 3 and a par 4.  By doing that the short 18th would be eliminated, and the 17th would become the 18th.  The estimated $1,300 cost was not affordable.

The Fourth Decade (1942-1952)

During World War II & the Korean Conflict members on active duty retained their memberships at no cost.  If spouses and children remained active members, they paid "Women's Dues".  Due to rationed gas many members rode "The Hay Wagon" from Glens Falls to the Club.  Due to the same rationing the course was maintained by horse drawn equipment as was done during its first decade.

The Fifth Decade (1952- 1962)

On June 18, 1956, the first riding carts were used on the course.  They were leased and electric powered.  The fee was $7.00 for two people.  In 1961, the current beach and beach house opened, replacing the facility that had been located along side and behind the first tee.

The Sixth Decade (1962-1972)

On July 11, 1966, an USGA Representative toured the course.  He reported the fairways were deteriorating fast due to lack of water and golfers ignoring requests to drive electric carts only in the rough.  He reported he had never seen members with such utter disregard for their course. 

This was.borne out by the number of soda cans strewn about.  The soda machine was shut down for a week, and caddies and youngsters were hired to pick up the mess.

The Seventh Decade (1972-1982)

In March 1973, the first 2 wooden paddle courts were completed next to the locker house.  Tom Haggerty was hired as Al Stein's Assistant Golf Pro.  In June, 1976, construction of the upper 18th green and raising the level of the 18th fairway was completed.  In June, 1978, construction of the current four tennis courts was completed.

The Eighth Decade 1982-1991

As of 1983, increased traffic on Round Pond Road necessitated reconstructing the 16th hole to avoid the road.  Today's dogleg design was completed in early 1985.  This project entailed relocating the property owners of the house behind the blue tee to a new house across Country Club Road, moving power lines, building a berm and planting trees along the road, cutting a 200 yard row of mature pines along the left side of the fairway, and building a green that was eventually redesigned a few years later.

The Ninth Decade - 1992-2001

As long as anyone can remember the "Country Club" was the popular winter gathering place for the public to slide and ski.  However, due to accident liability, unintended course damage, traffic dangers, and intended vandalism the Board voted on Dec. 14, 1992 to close the Club property to the public and members for sliding and cross-country skiing.

The Tenth Decade - 2002-2012

The parking lot used to be a flat surface of deteriorating blacktop without planting, curbing, and sufficient lighting.  In November 2002, the parking lot renovation project was completed.  The project included planters, landscape curbing, golf cart zones, repaving, pavement stamping, new flowering trees, and soft toned vintage streetlights.

The best time to view the real beauty of the parking lot is when the trees are in bloom or on a winter morning before daylight when a fresh snow has fallen and no vehicles have entered the area.

 

The Future - 2013 and forward

... and so, as we enter a new century, ready to build additional history and memories, join with us and make each day more memorable for yourself, your families and your friends, both old and new.